a website for Rohr Retirees and Former Employees
Fairhope | Foley | Fresno | Garland | Hagerstown | Hamburg | Heber Springs | Huntsville | Irvine
Los Angeles | Loudenville | Mexico | Millersburg | Mira Loma | Moreno Valley
Paris | Richmond | Riverside | Rockville | San Diego | San Marcos | Scotland | Sheridan | Singapore | Toulouse | Washington D.C. | Winder
Advanced | Aircraft | Antenna | Architectural | Communications | Computer | Construction | Credit Union | Marine | Material | Postal | Rail | Space | Transit
Bibliography | Guest Book | Looking For... | Memorabilia | People | Rohr, Fred | Rohr Manor | Timeline
AeROHRcrafter | Rohr Magazine | Rohr News | News Clippings | Contact Us
In April 1962, Modular Components Corporation, a wholly owned subsidiary of Rohr Corporation, began manufacturing Modubilt bathrooms. In June of the same year, the first Modubilt house was erected in Riverside, California (1962 Annual Report, p. 16).
In July of 1963 the Architectural Division moved "into its new facility at Fullerton, California" which was equiped to produce up to 7 houses per day. Their first project was an order for 140 houses for a developer in Borrego Valley, California. They also erected 60 homes at Kaiser Steel's Eagle Mountain mining development. Homes were also expected in Las Vegas, Hawaii and Alaska. (Rohr Corporation 1964 Annual Report, p. 9).
"In October, 1963, we formed the Architectural Division from the former Modular Components Corporation, a wholly-owned subsidiary. The Division has continued its development program in the manufacture of houses, apartments, and building components at its new facility in Fullerton, California, and we are currently erecting homes and apartments in several areas" (Rohr Corporation 1964 Annual Report, p. 3).
The town of Fullerton
Borrego Valley was an isolated and little known community in San Diego County until the 1930s and 1940s. It is surrounded by the Santa Rosa and San Ysidro mountains, comprising 80,000 acres of government land and homesteads, "planned and developed as an ideal residential, recreational, desert reort community." The planners took great care" to preserve the natural beauty and serenity of the desert setting." Borrego had a "reputation as the home of the early grapes" in the 1950s. In addition to grapes, alfalfa, cotton, corn, tomatoes, citrus, potatoes, flowers, peachers, beans, and garleic and onions were also grown (Brigrandi, 2001, p. vii, 1, 3, 69-70, 81-82).
Borrego is famous for it's Christmas Circle, a business district that was slowly developed and by November 1950 included a supermarket, gas station, drug store, doctor office, post office, and more. stores and services, (Brigandi, 2001, p. 71).
Rohr Fullerton. This photograph is from the Rohr Magazine Summer 1965 issue.
Modular Components Corporation's Modubilt houses.
Page 17 of Rohr Corporation's 1962 Annual Report.
For more information on Borrego Springs homes, see also:
Borrego Springs: Early Days in the Borrego Valley, 1910-1960 by Phil Brigandi
Rohr Magazine, Fall 1964
Parker, C.E. and Marilyn Parker. Orange County: Indians to Industry. Santa Ana, California: Orange County Title Company, 1965.
The Rohr Aircraft Memories website is owned by Sue Poole.
Opinions expressed on these pages are not necessarily those of the site owner.
All content is ©2006-2020 Sue Poole unless otherwise credited or a vintage reprint.
Last updated: 07-02-2020