Rohr Aircraft Memories home | Arkadelphia | Arlington | Auburn | Brown Field | Cape May | Cerritos | Chula Vista | Clark | Delaware | Edgemont | Evergreen
a website for Rohr Retirees and Former Employees
Fairhope | Foley | Fresno | Fullerton | Garland | Hagerstown | Hamburg | Heber Springs | Huntsville | Irvine
Los Angeles | Loudenville | Mexico | Millersburg | Mira Loma | Moreno Valley
Paris | Richmond | Riverside | Rockville | San Diego | San Marcos | Scotland | Sheridan | Singapore | Toulouse | Washington D.C. | Winder
Advanced | Aircraft | Antenna | Computer | Construction | Credit Union | Marine | Material | Postal | Rail | Transit
Bibliography | Guest Book | Looking For... | Memorabilia | People | Rohr Manor | Timeline
AeROHRcrafter | Rohr Magazine | Rohr News | News Clippings | Contact Us
Computer Services/ROHRDATA Systems Division
"In 1957 Rohr installed its first computer system, an IBM 650" for initial engineering projects what were faster and more accurate (Rohr News, April 12, 1979, p. 2).
In 1960, Rohr acquired the Remington Rand Solid State 80 (SS-80) Univac to improve operational data and "to serve the company's growing numerical control machining and programming efforts." The SS-80 was the most advanced computer of its type availabe at that time ("Electronic Marvels Take over Data Processing with Rohr’s Newly Installed UNIVAC.” 1957).
In 1961 "the United States Chamber of Commerce named Rohr Corporation as the nation's outstanding user of computer assisted numerical controlled machines." In 1963, the same recognition was awarded by Product Magazine. In 1964, Rohr installed the Burgmaster milling machine and the Betts Planer. Also in 1964, the IBM 1001 Data-Phone linked "Rohr's computers by direct telephone lines with the Computer Services Corporation," extending the capability of Rohr's Univac 1004 (Rohr Corporation 1964 Annual Report, p. 6, 7). The Data-Phone provided the ability to transit requests for delivery to vendors via punched cards (Austin. Summer 1965, p. 21).
In 1965, an IBM System 360 Model 50 and Model 65 was acquired and installed paving the way for sophisticated data processing systems. In early 1966, "a system called RADAR (Rohr Automated Data Acquisition and Retrieval) was implemented" (Rohr Corporate. 1968, p. 40).
"During the mid-1960s Rohr had in operation nearly 20 numerically-controlled machines. A fully automated, computer-controlled warehouse - the first in the aerospace industry - was opened in 1967" (Rohr Corporation, 1968, p. 5).
RohrData Systems Division marketed "a variety of computer-related services." It was "established to increase profitable utlization of the company's electronic data processing capability" (Rohr, 1975, p. 1, 14).
In 1979 Rohr installed an IBM 3033 due to the need to increase computer capacity with their current system which was 100 times more productive than their first IBM. The IBM 3033 supported "the numerically controlled machining operations and the 100,000 different parts that the factory worked on at one time. It also supported the finance department, personnel, medical claims processing and engineering (Rohr News, April 12, 1979, p. 2).
Opinions expressed on these pages are not necessarily those of the site owner.
All content is ©2006-2021 Rohr Aircraft Memories unless otherwise credited or a vintage reprint.
All rights reserved. Unauthorized use of material is prohibited.
Contact Sue with questions or comments. Website address: rohrmemories.com
Last updated: 08-01-2021